Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bluebirds of Happiness

I am learning that eventually, if you are patient enough, perseverent and observant enough, what you desire will show up. These birds symbolize that in a silly, tangible way.

A few years ago we attended my sister's wedding in Tucson. One morning we took her dog for a walk in her neighborhood and stopped at a garage sale, where I bought a simple blue ceramic bird for 50 cents. He made it safely home wrapped in clothes in my suitcase and found the perfect perch on my backyard garden fence post. I even stained the fence his shade of blue. He was so lovely there, I wished I had a second bird, one for each of the main fence posts.

Then one day, several months later, the identical bird appeared at a thrift store in Rochester! I had to pay $3 for the second bird, but it was definitely worth it. I can hardly wait for spring - there are plenty of fence posts at our farm for these birds to perch upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment